What is project graduation?
Project graduation is an initiative taken by our school to change our process of graduation. Usually you would graduate by doing your final exams on paper but this academic year, the students will be making a website which will be assessed by our seniors.
Each subject will have one topic/unit that I found interesting. the subjects that will be included are Biology, Physics, Art, English and I&S ( individuals and societies)
What is classification?
Classification is the method used divide organisms into separate segments. the segments that the organisms are divided into are called the animal kingdoms. They are divided by the difference in their cellular structure. There are 5 different animal kingdoms – Monera, Protista, Fungi, Plantae and Animalea.
1) Animalea are eukaryotic and not have a cell wall. They have a hormonal and nervous control system; they are heterotrophic which means the can eat and digest food.
2) Plantae are eukaryotic and multicellular. They have a cell wall; they are autotropic which means they use photosynthesis to make their own energy. They also have a unique gas exchange system; they take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen.
3) Fungi are eukaryotic and are also multicellular like animals and plants but unlike them, fungi can be unicellular as well. They have a cell wall and they are heterotrophic and saprotrophic which means they can digest food and are also parasitic.
4) Protista are eukaryotic and have a cell wall. They are both unicellular and multicellular; they are heterotrophic and autotrophic.
5) Monera are prokaryotic and unicellular. They do not have organelles which are seen in eukaryotes. They are very small compared to most eukaryotes; they also have cell walls and are autotrophic, they use photosynthesis and chemosynthesis to get energy
Topic: intro into physics
What did I learn in this unit?
1) speed and velocity
Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to how fast an object is moving.
Velocity is a vector quantity that shows the speed and direction of an object
How do you calculate speed?
Speed can only be calculated if the distance and time isgiven. Thedistance the object has covered divided by the time it has taken to cover that certain distance gives the speed, for example if a car travels 20km in 4 hours than the speed is 20km/4 hrs which is 5kmph (kilometers per hour).
velocity canonly be calculated if the displacement and time is given. Displacement is the change in position of an object, displacement also displays the direction the object has moved in for example, if a car goes travels a total distance of 50km but the displacement is only 20km south and the time taken is 2 hours, then the velocity would be 20km/2 hrs which is 10kmph.
What is acceleration?
Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. Usually, acceleration means the speed is changing, but not always. When an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed, it is still accelerating, because the direction of its velocity is changing.
Topic: Mosaic art and folk art
what is mosaic art?
A mosaic art is a pattern or image made of small regular or irregular pieces of colored stone, glass or ceramic, held in place by plaster/mortar, and covering a surface. Mosaics are often used as floor and wall decoration, and were particularly popular in the Ancient Roman world
What is folk art?
Folk art covers all forms of visual art made in the context of folk culture. Definitions vary, but generally the objects have practical utility of some kind, rather than being exclusively decorative
What is a biography?
A biography, or simply bio, is a detailed description of a person’s life. It involves more than just the basic facts like education, work, relationships, and death; it portrays a person’s experience of these life events.
There are many biographies but I have selected few as an example-
- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.
How do you write a good biography?
There are three major steps to write a good biography
1) When select your subject take in to consideration of how much information there is on that specific person. It is usually better to choose a famous person because there is a lot of information about them in newspapers, magazines, etc…
2) Do a detailed research on your subject. Make sure that even the most unknown and un- heard of facts should be displayed in your biography.
3) Divide your essay into 3 or 5 paragraphs format, which includes an introduction, a minimum two paragraphs and a conclusion.
What is a natural environment?
The natural environment encompasses all living and non-living things occurring naturally, meaning in this case not artificial. The term is most often applied to the Earth or some parts of Earth.
What is a biome?
A biome is a collection of plants and animals that have common characteristics for the environment they exist in. They can be found over a range of continents
What are the different biomes around the world?
grassland, forest, desert, and tundra, though some of these biomes can be further divided into more specific categories, such as freshwater, marine, savanna, tropical rainforest, temperate rainforest, and taiga.
1) Grasslands are areas where the vegetation is dominated by grasses. However, sedge and rush can also be found along with variable proportions of legumes, like clover, and other herbs.
2) Forest biomes are made up of trees and other woody plants. … These groups are tropical, temperate and boreal forests.
3) The desert biome covers about one-fifth of Earth’s surface. This biome has a layer of soil that can either be sandy, gravelly, or stony, depending on the type of desert.
4) The tundra is the coldest of the biomes. Tundra is found in the regions just below the ice caps of the Arctic, extending across North America, to Europe, and Siberia in Asia.